Pages

Thursday, August 5, 2010

August 2 - Day 28 Part 2 - South Klondike Highway








Monday - Part 2 - traveling on the South Klondike Highway

What a spectacular ride this was! One fantastic vista after another on both sides of the road - lakes, mountains, glaciers, tundra, rivers - and, it was a beautiful clear sunny day, just perfect photo weather. I took so many pictures I got cramps in my hand from holding the camera!

The South Klondike Highway connects Skagway with the Alaska Highway near Whitehorse. In Gold Rush days, gold-seekers continued to Dawson City on the Klondike Loop. We traveled the highway from north to south, beginning in the Yukon, then passing through a small corner of British Columbia, and finally crossing into Alaska just before Skagway. We went through two provinces, two countries and two time zones - all in just a few hours!

I won't try to describe the beauty of the scenery -- I will let the photos do the talking. Some were taken on the way down to Skagway, and some were taken coming back. It was so hard to choose just these few out of the hundreds of photos I got!

Continued in Part 3 - White Pass

Cheryl & Don




No comments:

Post a Comment